- Founder & Managing Partner
Derek A. DeCosmo is the founding and managing Partner of DeCosmo & Rolón. Since 2005, Derek has guided clients through the maze of immigration law. Derek is experienced, responsive and driven by results. Derek has successfully represented thousands of immigrant clients, whether they’ve been in deportation proceedings or in their applications for immigration benefits. Derek has handled every type of immigration case. Derek has extensive experience advising clients on the immigration consequences of criminal convictions and in defending immigrant clients charged with crimes.
Derek’s passion for working with immigrants began during his time in government. He was first an aide and later Deputy Chief of Staff to Congressman Robert E. Andrews, where he worked to ensure the rights of immigrants in the benefits and application process.
In 2008 Derek established DeCosmo Law, a full-service immigration law firm. Derek represented clients in every type of immigration benefits application. Derek also represented immigrants in both deportation and criminal court proceedings. He was one of the few attorneys in New Jersey practicing in the area of the convergence of immigration and criminal law. In 2013, Derek joined the prestigious criminal defense law firm, Zucker Steinberg & Wixted. For five years, Derek led the firm's Immigration Law Group and represented both U.S. citizens and immigrants in criminal and municipal court matters.
Derek's advocacy on behalf of New Jersey's immigrant communities led to his selection as 2014-2015 Chairman for the New Jersey Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, which has over 10,000 members nationwide.
In 2016 Rutgers School of Law asked Derek to develop and teach a course on “crimmigration” law, which studies the historical and contemporary relationship between criminal and immigration law. The course explores the immigration consequences of criminal prosecutions. Derek has served as a Part-Time Lecturer at Rutgers School of Law from 2016 to the present.
In 2018 Derek founded DeCosmo & Rolón and serves as managing partner. Decosmo & Rolón is a boutique immigration law firm. The firm concentrates on representing immigrants in all benefits applications, deportation defense and in handling the most complex immigration and criminal matters.
When not in a courtroom or teaching other lawyers and law students, Derek is passionate about donating his time to charitable causes and giving back to the community. He hosts lectures at various churches and organizations to inform the community of their legal rights. As a native of Burlington County, Derek knew from the start that serving the communities of South Jersey would be central to his practice.
Areas Of Practice
- Immigration Law
- Criminal Defense
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Rutgers School of Law - Camden, Camden, New Jersey
- J.D. - 2005
- Albright College
- B.A. - 2001
- Major: Communications
- Major: History
- Presented CLE course to the Camden County Bar Association on—“Everything a criminal defense attorney needs to know when representing a noncitizen client.”, , Present
- Presented CLE course to the NJ Chapter of the Federal Bar Association on - “Immigration Executive Orders and Deferred Action.”, 2015 to Present
- Presented CLE course during the Camden County Bar Association’s Black Letter Blast on Criminal Law on – “Immigration Consequences of Criminal Activity.”, 2015 to Present
- Presented CLE for the Camden County Bar on – “Avoiding Ineffective Assistance of Counsel Claims, a New Jersey Defense Attorney’s Guide to Representing Non-Citizen Clients.”, 2014 to Present
- Presented CLE for the Mercer County Bar Association on “Immigration Issues in Family Law.”, 2012 to Present
- Understanding the Immigration Impact of Your Clients Case Before You Resolve It, The Barrister, 03/01/2011 to Present
- Presented to the Rutgers School of Law on “Impact of SB 1070, Arizona’s Anti-Immigration Law”, 2011 to Present
- Presented to the Rutgers School of Law on “Immigration Law and Politics”, 2010 to Present
- New Hope in Deportation Defense During a Time of Otherwise Great Uncertainty, The Barrister
- Immigration Law: What Every Attorney Should Know, New Jersey State Bar Association, 2017 to Present
Honors and Awards
- Selected to New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Selected to New Jersey Monthly’s Top Attorneys
- Selected to South Jersey Magazine’s Top Attorneys
- AV-Preeminent Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Top Attorney Rated by AVVO
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (“AILA”) - New Jersey Chapter, Chairman
- NJ Chapter of AILA, Chairman
- PA Chapter of AILA
- Camden County Bar Association, Immigration Committee, Co-Chair, 2017 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Borough of Merchantville, Public Defender, 2013 to 2015
- DeCosmo Law, Managing Partner, 2008 to 2013
- Congressman Robert E. Andrews, Deputy Chief of Staff, 2008
- Valentine Brown, LLC, Associate, 2005 to 2008
- Valentine Brown, LLC, Law Clerk, 2004 to 2005
- Congressman Robert E. Andrews, District Representative, 2002 to 2004
- Zucker Steinberg & Wixted, 2013 to 2018
- Rutgers School of Law, Lecturer, 2016 to 2018