A Boutique Law Firm Fighting For Everyday People

How can you apply for a green card in New Jersey?

On Behalf of | Jan 28, 2021 | Immigration And Naturalization

If you’re the family member of a legal citizen in the United States, you might be eligible to apply for a green card. A green card allows you to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States. However, you’ll have to meet certain qualifications before you’re allowed to apply.

Who can apply for a green card to become a lawful permanent resident?

Immediate family members like spouses, minor children and parents are allowed to apply for a green card. However, if you’re not an immediate family member, you might be able to apply under one of the family preference categories. Becoming a lawful permanent resident can set you on the path to receiving U.S. citizenship.

You can apply for a green card under a family preference category if you’re the unmarried adult child of a U.S. citizen. You can also apply if you’re the spouse or minor child of a lawful permanent resident. Additionally, married children and siblings of U.S. citizens are eligible to apply for a green card. If you’re not currently living in the United States, you may want to contact immigration authorities for more information about immigrating to the United States.

If you’re eligible for a green card, you’ll need to meet certain requirements. You need to fill out the paperwork while living in the United States and be eligible for an immigration visa. Additionally, you’ll need to be inspected and admitted into the country by an immigration official. The process can be time-consuming, but you could end up with rights and responsibilities that you wouldn’t have otherwise.

How can an attorney help you immigrate to the United States?

Dealing with United States immigration law can be confusing and alienating. If you’re trying to apply for a green card, you might wish to hire an attorney. Your attorney may be able to help you figure out the right path to becoming a citizen or a lawful permanent resident.

Your attorney may help you prepare your application and make the best possible impression. If your application is denied, your attorney might help you appeal the rejection and work to keep you from being deported.