A Boutique Law Firm Fighting For Everyday People

Can you bring your fiance(e) to the U.S.?

On Behalf of | Jan 26, 2021 | Immigration And Naturalization

If you are engaged to someone who is not a U.S. citizen, you likely have a number of questions. When it comes to family immigration, many people understand the possibility of bringing a foreign spouse or child to the U.S. through an immigrant visa. However, some people are unsure whether they have the ability to bring a fiance(e) to the U.S. and it is imperative to understand the steps you need to take in order to help your fiance(e) live with you in the states.

Fortunately, many couples who are engaged are able to live together in the U.S. after carefully reviewing their circumstances and the requirements that come with this facet of immigration.

Reviewing the process of helping your fiance(e) move to the U.S.

According to the U.S. Department of State, people are able to bring their fiance(s) to the U.S. by obtaining a nonimmigrant visa. However, those who wish to move forward with such a visa are required to submit Form I-129F in order to secure a nonimmigrant K1 visa. If you are able to obtain a K1 visa for your fiance(e), they will have the ability to reside in the U.S. and move forward with your marriage.

Reviewing the requirements that come with applying for a K1 visa

You need to carefully go over the requirements that come with successfully applying for a K1 visa. For example, make sure you file the petition properly, have all necessary documents in order and are prepared for the interview. By handling these matters with care, you can increase the odds of a favorable outcome.