A Boutique Law Firm Fighting For Everyday People

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Understanding the law can be difficult. Especially when you are an immigrant or noncitizen, who may not understand English, it can be nearly impossible to navigate the U.S. legal system. We are Spanish-speaking attorneys who represent our clients in all immigration and criminal matters.

You have questions, we have answers.

Our team at DeCosmo Law is knowledgeable, skilled, and here to help. For questions relating to your specific case, please schedule a initial consultation with a lawyer in our office by calling 856-843-4012. We have offices conveniently located in Camden, Trenton, and Pleasantville. Se habla español.

Q: Why do I need an attorney who practices both immigration and criminal law?

A: Immigration and criminal law are typically considered two separate areas of the law. Our firm works on them simultaneously, giving you two-for-one knowledge and experience.

If you are an immigrant who has been accused of a crime, we can help. Working with attorneys who are focused on both criminal and immigration law in New Jersey can save you time and money in the long run. Our law firm can handle your most complex immigration matters when they happen. When you are facing criminal charges, we already have much of the background knowledge regarding your needs and the status of your loved ones.

Why hire two law firms when you can have more efficient – often more effective – counsel with just one? The value, the experience, and the convenience we offer our clients are hard to beat.

Q: What happens if I am an immigrant who has been convicted of a crime?

A: If you are a non-U.S. citizen and are convicted of a crime, you may have to pay fines, face prison time, or even face deportation. This is why having a strong team of attorneys is important both during and after your criminal case.

If you have not been convicted, we can help you fight your initial charges.

If you are already convicted, we can help you appeal your case and try to overturn your sentence, preventing your deportation and allowing you to stay in this country.

Q: I have my green card. Can I still face deportation?

A: Yes, even if you have a permanent status in the United States, there are still some crimes that can result in deportation proceedings. Our experienced team can help you fight this.

Q: Do I have to disclose my criminal history when applying for citizenship?

A: Yes, you must list all crimes, including crimes that you were not convicted of. Even if they are minor, hiding crimes from the government may affect your chances at citizenship. It is best to be truthful.